Diagnostic imaging in Middle Georgia
When you come to a Coliseum Health System facility for treatment, you want to know your treatment is based on a proper diagnosis. The diagnostic process begins with our imaging and radiology services. Our specialists provide testing procedures and state-of-the-art technology to confirm health issues and help create treatment plans.
Coliseum Medical Centers and Coliseum Northside Hospital enlist board-certified radiologists and specially trained support staff as well as state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic imaging technology and equipment.
For more information on scheduling an outpatient service with Coliseum Medical Centers, call (877) 357-0161. To schedule an appointent with Coliseum Northside Hospital, call (855) 226-9111.
Comprehensive diagnostic and testing services
Our radiologists and specially trained technologists offer a range of services to help doctors diagnose various health conditions and develop the right treatment plan.
Computed tomography (CT) scans
CT scans use computer processing to combine several X-rays into a cross-sectional image. These scans also provide greater details than traditional imaging, showing the bone, soft tissue and blood vessels all at the same time.
Patients can benefit from standard CT scans, CT-guided biopsies for liver, bone marrow and lung, as well as CT-guided drainage.
Having multiple types of CT scans allow doctors to more accurately diagnose various types of disease and form comprehensive treatment plans.
For more information on CT-guided biopsy scheduling, call (478) 765-4894.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
MRIs create images using magnetic fields on body tissue. It works best on soft body tissue and the nervous system. Some MRIs we offer:
- All body imaging
- Breast MRI
- Cardiac MRI
Ultrasound scans use high-frequency soundwaves to create images. Our specialists are able to perform vaginal and transvaginal ultrasound and vascular ultrasound procedures.
X-rays are the oldest and most traditional form of imaging. Our specialists expose the body to radiation for a look at internal organs. X-ray procedures include mammograms and fluorescent imaging.
Fluorescent imaging is an effective tool in robotic-assisted surgery. Surgeons work with an anesthesiologist who injects a fluorescent dye by IV. When the dye binds with blood proteins and the robotic arm's laser illuminates the surgery site, the dye becomes excited and glows. Fluorescent imaging allows surgeons to see the path of blood vessels and the blood circulating through them.
Specialized imaging services
For conditions requiring more specific screening, our highly skilled specialists are able to perform:
Breast imaging and testing services
When it comes to breast health, our team works to give you peace of mind and conduct early screening in a setting that is caring and comfortable.
Mammography is one of the best ways to detect breast cancer at its earliest stage. When caught early, breast cancer can be treated. Patients have access to:
- Digital mammography—X-ray exam of breast tissue stored on a computer rather than film
- 3D mammography (tomosynthesis)—An imaging procedure that combines several X-rays into a cross-sectional image of the breast
- Stereotactic breast biopsy—Procedure that uses mammography to guide instruments to a tumor or abnormal growth for a tissue sample
The ACR recognizes our expertise in breast screening and imaging which help doctors make effective diagnoses and treatment plans. Our center was awarded ACR accreditation for its quality state-of-the-art technology and diagnostic expertise with ultrasound.
Bone and spine imaging
Back pain brings many patients—adults and children—to our orthopedics and spine care unit. Our diagnostic tools and procedures include bone scans and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans, which evaluate bone density to determine osteoporosis or fracture risk.
Heart and cardiac imaging
Sudden chest pain or chronic heart problems all need accurate diagnosis and treatment. Our heart specialists work with imaging tools to evaluate the extent of heart disease. Some imaging services are:
- 64-slice CTA (computed tomography angiography)—A diagnostic test that uses X-rays to obtain cross-sectional views of inside the body
- Angiography—This test offers images of the inside of blood vessels
- Electron beam computed tomography (EBCT)—A noninvasive procedure to screen for heart disease, resulting in minimized radiation exposure to patients
Additional imaging and diagnostic services
Our doctors use imaging technology to perform:
- Barium enemas—X-rays to examine the colon with a contrasting agent
- Barium swallow—X-ray to examine the throat using a contrasting agent
- Gastrointestinal (GI) testing—X-rays of the GI tract
- Myelography—Fluoroscopic exam of spinal cord
- Lumbar puncture—Procedure to remove fluid from the spine
- Arthrogram—X-ray of a joint using fluoroscopy or MRI
Interventional radiology is a subspecialty of radiology that uses medical imaging to perform minimally invasive procedures.
The interventional radiologist carefully examines the images to diagnose injury and disease and performs various interventional medical procedures, including:
- All central lines
- Biliary drainage
- Carotid and peripheral stenting
- Central venous access*
- IVC filter insertion/removal*
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy
- Peripheral arteriogram*
- Peripheral angioplasty
- Catheter insertions (peritoneal and pleural)*
- Port-a-cath insertion/removal*
- Spinal blocks*
- Steroid blocks*
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS)
*Service performed at Coliseum Northside Hospital.
To schedule an interventional radiology procedure at Coliseum Northside Hospital, call (478) 757-6048.
To schedule an interventional radiology procedure with Coliseum Medical Centers, call (478) 765-4894.
Nuclear medicine is a specialized area of radiology that uses small amounts of radioactive material to examine organ structure and function in various parts of the body and evaluate diseases. These diseases may include cancers, heart disease, neurological disorders and other abnormalities.