Emergency services in Middle Georgia
Coliseum Health System provides Macon-Bibb County and the surrounding area with two conveniently located emergency rooms (ERs). The full-service ERs at Coliseum Medical Centers and Coliseum Northside Hospital are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
We believe in partnering with our patients to ensure fast but comprehensive emergency care. Our ERs are known for their short wait times. Our expert physicians and highly skilled nurses are committed to providing effective treatment with compassion to make patients feel comfortable and welcome.
If you or someone you know is dealing with a minor emergency or a life-threatening condition, visit your nearest Coliseum Health System ER.
If you are experiencing an emergency, call 911.
Conditions that require an ER visit
If you or a loved one are experiencing these symptoms, visit an ER as soon as possible. Some conditions include:
- Broken bones
- Chest pain and pressure
- Deep cuts, wounds
- Difficulty breathing and shortness of breath
- Head, concussion and spine injuries
- High fevers
- Loss of consciousness
- Severe allergic reactions
- Stomach pain
- Suspected poisoning or drug/alcohol overdoses
- Uncontrolled bleeding
Advanced emergency care
Coliseum Medical Centers and Coliseum Northside Hospital are well known in the community for providing superb care to patients of all ages for a full range of injuries and illnesses. Our emergency services include:
Primary Stroke Centers
Both Coliseum Medical Centers and Coliseum Northside Hospital are Primary Stroke Centers as recognized by the Joint Commission. With the advanced stroke treatment provided at both centers, you can be sure your loved one will receive the necessary care for as full a recovery as possible. We offer:
- Dedicated stroke care unit staff around-the-clock with specially trained nurses and support staff
- Emergency medicine evaluation including blood work, CT scan of the brain and swallow studies
- Coordination of treatment across medical specialties, including neurology, neurosurgery, and radiology
- Support from rehabilitation services, including physical, occupational and speech therapies
Our Primary Stroke Centers are recognized by The Joint Commission for high-quality stroke care and stroke rehabilitation services.
Our team received the Get with the Guidelines Silver Plus Award for reliably meeting the 4.5-hour window for administering stroke care.
Our partnership with the regional Emergency Medical Service (EMS) allows Bibb and surrounding county residents to get a rapid response for stroke symptoms while in-transit to our hospitals. Our stroke team works with imaging, neurological and rehabilitation specialists to help the patient regain their independence, mobility and strength to the greatest extent possible.
Comprehensive heart attack care
Our cardiology program is one of the leading programs in Middle Georgia. With an emergency medicine team, cardiology specialists, advanced technology and procedures, we can ensure chest pain is quickly diagnosed and treated.
Additionally, Coliseum Medical Centers is a designated Level I Emergency Cardiac Care Center (ECCC) by the Georgia Department of Public Health, Office of Emergency Medical Services and Trauma. As a Level I ECCC, our cardiology experts have a strong reputation in quickly treating ST-elevation myocardial infarctions (STEMIs). This is the deadliest type of heart attack caused by a blockage in blood flow to the heart.
As a heart care leader, our specialists provide fast, patient-focused care for heart attack through:
- An EMS partnership that allows rapid response to chest pain symptoms and transmission of patient information while en route to our hospitals, providing efficient, life-saving treatment
- Computed tomography angiogram (CTA) scans using a 64-slice scanner (diagnostic test and tool to show heart structure)
- Diagnostic testing (CTs, MRIs, and ultrasounds)
Pediatric emergency care
It's always scary when your child needs to go to the ER, but you can rest assured that we're ready to address any medical emergency and have taken care of thousands of children through our pediatric-friendly ERs.
Our ER physicians and staff are focused on rapid assessment and treatment of pain, family-centered care, and efficient, quality service for children.