Helping improve lives one success story at a time
After years of trying – really trying – different approaches to losing weight, we understand how frustrating it can be for you to go through the same old diet and exercise routines without seeing any significant difference. Sometimes losing excess body weight and keeping it off requires more than simply changing habits. That’s why the Georgia Bariatric Center at Coliseum Northside Hospital is excited about being able to offer you the latest weight-loss surgery options. We offer a comprehensive program featuring several safe and highly effective minimally invasive weight loss surgery options including intragastric balloon, Gastric Sleeve and LAP-BAND surgery.
We understand bariatric surgery is a life-changing decision and our team at The Georgia Bariatric Center at Coliseum Northside Hospital will be with you every step of the way. We are committed to providing you with the personalized care and attention you deserve. We want you to be as prepared and as comfortable as possible for your surgery – and your new life. To help guide you through this process, we've created a step-by-step plan to your surgery.
Changing lives with Weight Loss Surgery
- Contact our Center
- Attend our free information session
- Complete pre-assessment forms
- Meet with our bariatric surgeon
- Complete pre-op counseling
- Check in for surgery
The education and support does not end after surgery; support groups and clinic visits are also available. The Center focuses on providing you with all the tools necessary for success and your new healthy life.
What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery alters the digestive process or reduces the amount of food the stomach can hold. There are a variety of bariatric options available today for treatment:
- Intragastric balloon is placed into the stomach endoscopically without surgery. The balloon takes up space in the stomach thereby making the patient eat less.
- Lap-band Surgery is an adjustable band that is surgically placed around the top of the stomach that essentially functions like an hour glass. The band can be adjusted in the office to control the rate that food empties, providing a feeling of satisfaction after a small meal and affect hormones that regulate hunger.
- Robotic Gastric Sleeve is a minimally invasive surgery in which the surgeon removes about 75% of the stomach though a minimally invasive, robotic procedure. What remains of the stomach is a narrow tube or sleeve, which connects to the intestines normally. The stomach is much smaller, therefore food intake is restricted. Gastric sleeve is a simpler operation than gastric bypass and is therefore lower risk than bypass. Because the intestines aren't affected, gastric sleeve doesn't affect how your body absorbs food or vitamins and minerals, so you're not likely to fall short on nutrients. However, watching protein intake and taking vitamins is generally recommended to maintain good health.
Weight loss can not only improve your quality of life, but also prevent or lower your risk of developing life-threatening diseases. If your BMI is 35+, the threshold for obesity, and you have one or more serious health conditions, you may want to consider this effective weight loss solution. Best of all, losing weight can lower your risk of developing diabetes, high blood pressure, arthralgia, back, and joint pain. If you have these or other health conditions, losing excess weight may improve or even resolve these conditions.
Attend an Information Session
Free information seminars are provided quarterly for patients interested in seeking bariatric surgery as a weight loss option. We will cover surgery options, risks and benefits of the procedure and what your next steps are to begin the process. It is an informal discussion with time made available for questions and answers.
Call (478) 746-4646 to Register to Attend a FREE Seminar
Get all the basic info about weight-loss and surgery options.