To find a physician to fit your individual needs, call Consult-A-Nurse® at (478) 746-4646.
Neurosurgery involves the evaluation and treatment of problems of the brain, spine and nerves. Treatment may involve surgery. If your doctor thinks you may be a candidate for surgery because of one of these problems, you may be referred to a neurosurgeon.
Common conditions treated
- Back pain due to:
- Herniated (ruptured) disks, which are the cushions between the bones of your spine
- Sciatica, a condition caused by compression of the sciatic nerve or injury to this nerve that starts in the low back and runs through the buttocks and down the leg. Symptoms include: pain, weakness, numbness or tingling in the legs
- Spinal stenosis, a condition caused by narrowing of the openings inside the bones of your spine that surround and protect your spinal cord
Spine Care Services
- Neck pain from:
- Herniated disks
- Bone spurs, most often due to osteoarthritis or spondylosis, a condition caused by degeneration of the disks and the bones of your spine
Spine Care Services
- Spine, brain and pituitary tumors
- Coliseum Medical Center uses advanced, state of the art computer navigation to perform brain and spine surgery. This extremely advanced technology uses a 3-D model, a microscope and images from CT or MRI to help you surgeon plan your surgery. This leads to a more accurate surgery and ultimately, a shorter hospital stay.
- Brain bleeds from strokes
- Conditions treated by Coliseum Medical Center’s Primary Stroke Center are brain bleeds from stroke, ruptured aneurysms, non-ruptured aneurysms, carotid artery stenosis and artery blockage in your brain.
- Some patients may be a candidate for a non-surgical approach. Coliseum Medical Center has an Neurologist and Neurosurgeon on staff 24/7.
- Coliseum Medical Center is a Joint Commission Certified Primary Stroke Center.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome, a condition caused by compression of the nerve that runs from the forearm through the wrist and into the hand. Symptoms include: pain, tingling and numbness in the palm and fingers.
- Ulnar nerve entrapment, a condition caused by compression of the ulnar nerve that runs from the collarbone and along the upper arms and through the elbow. Symptoms include: numbness and tingling in the ring finger and little finger.
- Cervical spine fusions
- The spine surgical team at Coliseum Medical Center can perform cervical spinal fusions without taking any bone grafts from the patient. Cervical spinal fusion is done to remove a herniated cervical disk that is causing neck pain, or neck pain along with pain that extends down the arm.