Unlike traditional gastric by-pass surgery, lap-band surgery - more commonly known as "banding," utilizes minimally invasive surgical techniques to place a state-of-the-art banding device around the stomach that can be adjusted to fit your lifestyle while helping you achieve better health.
How does it work?
Without requiring stomach cutting or stapling, the lap-band system reduces your stomach capacity, restricting the amount of food you can eat at one time, and allows you to feel full quicker and longer while needing to eat less.
Lap-band surgery has a proven track record of results that include long-term weight loss and better health when all other diets have failed. Make no mistake; this weight loss surgery is not a diet. It is a true lifestyle change.
Lap-band surgery is:
- Designed for Advanced Performance: the most advanced device approved by the FDA.
- A third-generation device that was developed in collaboration with leading bariatric surgeons, and was built on the proven performance of the lap-band system.
- Specially designed with the proprietary OMNIFORM(R) technology - with pre-curved sections (or pillows) that conform to fit your body better, minimizing leaks due to creases or folds. This offers a 360° inflation area for an even distribution of pressure, more secure placement, and complete coverage of stomach anatomy. The result: a great fit right from the start.
- Available in two sizes to allow your surgeon to choose the best option for you.
Who Qualifies for Lap-band Surgery?
The lap-band procedure may be right for you if:
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is at least 40, or
- Your BMI is 35 or higher with one or more obesity-related health conditions.
- You are at least 100 lbs overweight.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- Your serious weight loss attempts have had only short-term success.
- You are prepared to make major changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
- You are not currently pregnant. (Note: If you become pregnant after having this procedure, the band can be adjusted for the duration of your pregnancy.)
Like many who are interested in bariatric surgery, you are probably well aware of the successes people are having with lap-band surgery. However, before you can have this procedure to help you lose weight and live healthier, you need to qualify medically. This means being currently healthy enough for this minimally invasive procedure. While only a physician or surgeon can give you a complete medical evaluation, the criteria listed here should help you get started. In addition, our physician can provide more details regarding your specific condition during a private consultation.
For more information, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® program at (478) 746-4646. You may also call Consult-A-Nurse® to register to attend a FREE, no obligation information seminar to help with your decision.