Volunteering in Our Hospital
If you wish to make a difference, touch a life, and learn while helping others and having fun, Coliseum Medical Centers and Coliseum Northside Hospital are the perfect hospitals to volunteer your time and talents. Our volunteers provide important services for our patients and their families, and they contribute daily to our hospital system mission: Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life. Many of our volunteers work directly with patients and our staff through a variety of opportunities such as escorting patients to hospital appointments, serving patients and families in waiting rooms, working in the gift shop, providing pet therapy and helping staff with patient registration.
Applicants must be:
- 18 years of age (For those ages 15 to 17, please visit our Youth Volunteer Program.)
- In good physical and mental health
- Able to communicate well in English
- Willing to volunteer 100 hours of service in no less than 6 months of consecutive service
Comprehensive testing, training, and orientations are provided for each volunteer at our hospital. We ask that each volunteer commit to completing 100 hours of service in no less than six months of consecutive service.
For adult volunteer prospects (18 years of age and over), volunteer applications are available three times a year with a corresponding orientation session to follow.
|Adult Application Period||Orientation to Follow|
|March 1 — March 31||May|
|June 1 — June 30||August|
|September 1 — September 30||November|
Before You Volunteer
The Volunteer Services Department will work with you to schedule each of the following:
- Background check clearance
- Completion of a physical at Macon Occupational Medicine to ensure continued patient health and safety (cost covered by volunteer program)
- A four hour general orientation, usually held on Monday morning
- An interview and tour with the volunteer coordinator
- Completion and adherence to hospital safety and policies and procedures
Personal Interview and Competency Test Completion
Applicants must be willing to conduct a personal interview with Volunteer Resources staff as well as complete all necessary hospital competency tests. Competency tests address the following:
- Working/interacting with hospitalized patients
- Adherence to Confidentiality Policy
- Infection Control Policy
- Hospital Code awareness and readiness
- Fire safety
Health Clearance Examination
A health clearance is necessary before you begin volunteering. It includes:
- Written documentation of vaccinations
- TB screening
- Drug screening
- Seasonal Flu vaccination (required for working in patient areas)
You will be required to adhere to specific policies regarding volunteer work attire. We will provide you with a Coliseum-branded volunteer jacket or polo and a name badge.
Completed applications can be returned any of the following ways:
- Scan/email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail to this address: 520 Charter Blvd., Suite 400, Macon, Ga. 31210
- Bring by Coliseum Medical Centers to the H2U/Volunteer office
Youth Volunteer Program
For junior volunteer prospects (15 to 17 years of age), the volunteer application is available twice a year with a corresponding orientation session to follow.
|Junior Application Period||Orientation to Follow|
|April 1 — April 30||June|
|July 1 — July 31||August|
Junior volunteers must agree to volunteer for a minimum of 13 weeks and/or 40 hours. Please see "Before You Volunteer" above for other information.
The Volunteer Program at Coliseum Medical Centers and Coliseum Northside Hospital is committed to the professional development of healthcare students. To assist healthcare students in their quest to become healthcare professionals, the Volunteers award scholarships of $1,000 to deserving graduating high school seniors or post-secondary students pursuing a career in healthcare. These students may be aspiring nurses, health occupation professionals as well as those interested in healthcare administration.