Who Qualifies for LAP-BAND® Surgery?
The LAP-BAND® procedure may be right for you if:
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is at least 40, or
- Your BMI is 35 or higher with one or more obesity-related health conditions.
- You are at least 100 lbs overweight.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- Your serious weight loss attempts have had only short-term success.
- You are prepared to make major changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
- You are not currently pregnant. (Note: If you become pregnant after having this procedure, the band can be adjusted for the duration of your pregnancy.)
Like many who are interested in bariatric surgery, you are probably well aware of the successes people are having with LAP-BAND® surgery. However, before you can use the LAP-BAND® System to help you lose weight and live healthier, you need to qualify medically. This means being currently healthy enough for this minimally invasive procedure. While only a physician or surgeon can give you a complete medical evaluation, the criteria listed here should help you get started. In addition, our physician can provide more details regarding your specific condition during a private consultation.
For more information, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® program at (478) 746-4646. You may also call Consult-A-Nurse® to register to attend a FREE, no obligation information seminar to help with your decision.