Quality & Patient Safety
Delivering Quality Healthcare that Matters to You
Quality Care is Important to Every Patient
But how can you really know the care you’re receiving is the best? The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the lead federal agency tasked with improving healthcare nationwide, defi nes quality health care as “doing the right thing at the right time in the right way to achieve the best possible results.” At Coliseum Health System, our team of experts lives by this defi nition every day at all of our facilities – Coliseum Medical Centers, Coliseum Northside Hospital and Coliseum Center For Behavioral Health. In fact, we’ve been recognized for our commitment to quality care by the most respected organizations in healthcare.
What are Others Saying About Us? Take a Look...
Coliseum Health System is exceeding the benchmarks set by Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for the treatment of heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical infection prevention. You can view our results at www.hospitalcompare.hhs.gov.
The Coliseum Heart Institute has demonstrated excellence by achieving accreditation by the Society of Chest Pain Centers, as well as the Joint Commission’s designation as a Primary Stroke Center. Additionally, Coliseum Medical Centers is recognized by the American Stroke Association’s Get with the Guidelines quality improvement program for consistently following stroke treatment aligned with the latest guidelines. Coliseum Medical Centers has received the Gold Plus Recognition for stroke.
The Coliseum Cancer Center is accredited by the American College of Surgeon’s Commission on Cancer (ACoS CoC). Additionally, the Coliseum Breast Center at Coliseum Medical Centers is the only breast center in middle Georgia to be accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons. Accreditation by the NAPBC is only awarded to those centers that have voluntarily committed to provide the highest level of quality breast care and undergo a rigorous evaluation process and review of their performance.
Blue Cross Blue Shield has designated Coliseum Medical Centers and Coliseum Northside Hospital as a Blue Distinction® Center for Spine Surgery based on rigorous, evidence-based selection criteria in collaboration with expert physicians’ and medical organizations' recommendations.
Coliseum Rehabilitation Center has been recognized three years in a row as one of the Top 10 Percent of Inpatient Rehabilitations Facilities in the United States by the Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation (UDSMR). Additionally, the Healthy Hearts Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at Coliseum Medical Centers is certifi ed by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
The Computed Tomography Services of Coliseum Medical Centers achieved accreditation from the American College of Radiology, with special designation for pediatric patients.
The Nuclear Medicine department at Coliseum Medical Centers is accredited by the American College of Radiology.
The laboratory at both hospitals is accredited by the College of American Pathologists. Additionally, Coliseum utilizes automated blood bank barcode technology to improve the safety of transfusion medicine.
What's in it for You?
Our commitment to quality care is evidenced by our advanced technology and every patient interaction with our highly skilled, caring team. Here are just a few ways we deliver quality care to you:
- New operating room tracking screens at Coliseum Health System allow family and friends in the surgical waiting rooms to receive up-to-the-minute status updates on their loved ones.
- Access to 9-1-1, immediate medical treatment, physician locator, medical library and more are available through an iTriage app for iPhone and Android users, bringing highly relevant information to patients when they need it.
- Our system became the fi rst in middle Georgia to post emergency room wait times on billboards and on-line, providing patients with the most updated information to make an informed decision when minutes matter.
- With Coliseum Health System’s Aim for Zero initiative, our team is committed to achieving among the lowest infection rates in the region.
- A partnership with regional Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and the utilization of the latest technology allows for immediate communication and the transmission of patient information while the patient is en route to Coliseum Medical Centers or Coliseum Northside Hospital. Emergency room physicians and staff are ready to treat the most critical of stroke and heart attack patients as soon as they arrive, saving precious minutes.
- An electronic medication administration barcode system is in place to make certain that Coliseum Health System patients always receive the correct medication and dosage.
- The Coliseum Family Ties Birthing Center provides a Level III NICU with board certified neonatalogists to care for infants.
- Coliseum Health System adheres to standards of practice outlined by the most well-respected healthcare quality agencies, including Joint Commission, Leapfrog and National Quality Foundation, ensuring the highest quality care for its patients and their families.